Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Kids These Days

I grew up respecting professionals. I grew up respecting adults. It was the way I was taught. It was the way I was raised. Somewhere along the way, as I grew up from child to professional, the way our society treats people seems to have gone wickedly astray. I am, forever the optimist, hopeful that I can still find good being taught today. Decades of retail tell me otherwise, but I still attempt to instill this in the people I meet. Until this all-too-real story happened...

Not-Getting-It-Lady: "But I needs my medications."
CP: And you need a prior auth. 
NGIL: What's I'm s'posed to do now?
CP: Go back to your doctor. We called him. He knows. 
NGIL: But he wrote me these. I has to have it!
CP: And that is why we called your doctor and told him to get the prior auth started. We also called you and left a message at the house so you needn't've come down here without first calling. It would have saved us all the following scenario...
NGIL: But I needs it.
CP: This we know. And with this we are trying to help. Please try to listen and comprehend the words coming out of my mouth. 
...then...
12-yo brat child of NGIL: My mom's going to kill you if you don't give it to her!
CP: Sorry. What? So who's going to punch your kid in the throat, you or me? Because if I ever spoke like that to an adult, let alone a pharmacist, my parents would have shoved my head through the counter, dragged me out by my hair, then strapped me to the roof of the car and taken me home where I would have been whooped with every belt in my father's closet. If I ever sat again, I would have been marched back to the store where I would have been forced to issue the appropriate apology. Should you choose to do nothing, I have 3 witnesses behind you who can verify the threat and would have no problem testifying to the police who are about to be called. 

1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid, one time I thought I was really clever to steal a Chapstick. When I showed my mother in the parking lot, she marched me right back in for a confession. I was about six years old and convinced I was going to go to jail. Later my father's belt sealed the lesson of the day.

    These days my kids have witnessed their friends movie hopping WITH their parents. My kids knew better and were ashamed of their friends and I'm shocked beyond belief. What kind of message does this send? Cheat, lie, steal... dig a pit for thy neighbor... there's no harm in this!

    ReplyDelete