Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Can you teach a Doctor?

Doctors. What are we going to do with them? We need them, but can they be taught? I believe they can be trained, but they really need reprogrammed. Examples: (Yes by doctors, not just their staff.)
This will be ready when you get to the pharmacy.
It's pretty cheap. Usually under $10.
You don't need a new prescription if you have refills left. Just triple your dose and tell the pharmacy I said it's OK and they'll just fill it.

1. Your doctor does not work in my pharmacy. Never has.
2. I don't work in his office. Never have.

I don't tell him how to run his office, he shouldn't tell you what I do in my pharmacy.
No matter how many times we call offices and tell patients to remind their doctors, the doctors will still send patients in for refills on medications where they changed the dose/strength/frequency and the patient is now too soon. Do they not remember the point of a prescription is to tell me what to tell the patient? Do doctors not know we bill insurances? Do they not know how to do math? (No, hence all the q.s. quantities.) Do they not know a new prescription is required every time they give you something new? Like new directions? New strength?
You're right. I said they don't work in my pharmacy. How could they know this? Perhaps taught in school? Prescription writing 101? (Obviously taught with penmanship-they skipped those classes.) Perhaps experience? Pharmacists call and request a new prescription because he changed something. Pharmacists tell the doctor we need to know the correct information so we can perform our jobs too. Pharmacists call and call and call. I guess the answer to my somewhat rhetorical question is, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment