Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Thursday, March 9, 2023

History

CP: How about all these manufacturer backorders?
CPP: Yeah. Worst I've seen ever, across multiple classes of medication. Why are you asking?
CP: I was just thinking about an interaction the other day and was reminded of a great movie dialogue exchange:

Cosmo: In prison I learned that everything in this world, including money, operates not on reality...

Martin Bishop: ...but the perception of reality.

Cosmo: Posit: People think a bank might be financially shaky.

Martin Bishop: Consequence: People start to withdraw their money.

Cosmo: Result: Pretty soon it *is* financially shaky.

Martin Bishop: Conclusion: You can make banks fail.


CPP: Sneakers. Great movie. 
CP: And cast. 
CPP: What was this inspiring interaction?

CP: CP's Playhouse. How may I help you?
Seeking Particular Adderall Manufacturer: I'm looking for the TEVA version of my Adderall 30 mg tablets. 
CP: That is the wrong approach. 
SPAM: Why?
CP: In this market, where Adderall Caps and Tabs are impossible to find, one does not ask for a specific manufacturer; you first ask if we have Adderall at all. 
SPAM: But I need the Teva brand. 
CP: You're lucky to find ANY. It's a take-what-you-can-get market right now. I order it daily, as I have for 3 weeks, and have yet to receive even one bottle on any of those orders. If I get it, I celebrate. 
SPAM: But it's the only one that works for me. 
CP: May I suggest now is the time to try others, risk-free. If they don't work, you've at least tried another manufacturer you otherwise would have ignored or refused. If it doesn't work, it's no worse than you having not tried it. If it does work, however. . . it will alter your perception.
SPAM: I'll keep looking. 
CP: Fine with me. Someone else will take the ones I have at some point today so it doesn't bother me. It's like the oil embargo and gas rationing of the 1970's. People would wait in long lines for gas, wasting more gas in the process, only to get however few precious gallons they could. I bet you would've waited for hours, gotten to the pump, and asked for regular leaded and driven off if they had none, instead of taking unleaded. 

NUTIT: Why was that movie quote so significant?
CP: The perceived panic induced by this temporary shortage. 
CPP: Not that temporary. 
CP: Sorry, ephemeral, transient, fugacious. It will end eventually. But the panic of "what-are-we-going-to-do-now-I-can't-handle-my-kids-without-it" is more catastrophic than the shortage. 
CPP: I just wish offices and patients would not act surprised when we tell them this is still an issue. Months ago we told them to prepare a Plan B and a Plan C, just in case. I know, I know, Concerta and Ritalin are now seeing supply issues but that was pretty short-sighted if those were the only options explored. 
NUTIT: Like Ozempic and Trulicity also?
CPP: Don't get me started. 
ME: Did someone say Ozempic?
CP: Shut it. Beggars can't be choosers. This reminds me of when Maalox and Mylanta brands were pulled from the shelves over 5 years ago. The first versions to return to shelves were the store-brands. 
CPP: And people refused them; brand snobs, they were. 
CP: Until they desperately needed the help they provided. 
CPP: Suddenly, everyone was praising the store brands. 
CP: "Why did I never try this before?" "It's so much cheaper!'
NUTIT: People are really that bad?
CPP: Just wait. 
CP: Around here, you'll see it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment