Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Monday, December 30, 2013

How the Pharmacy World Differs from the Real World

What do you do when you receive a new credit card in the mail?
You call to activate it, sign it, then put it in your wallet.

What do you do when you are handed a new Customer Loyalty card from your favourite shopping location?
You immediately put one part on your key ring and the big card in your wallet.

What do you do when you receive your new license?
Yep. Right in the wallet.

Why? Because all of these items are important and you will be asked to present them frequently.

What do people do when they receive new insurance cards?
If they even open the envelope that arrives in December, they toss it in a drawer or under a pile of bills and miscellaneous mail they won't deal with until after the first of the year. If they even looked at it, they'd say "looks the same to me" before casting it aside in order to open, read, and hang the Christmas card with the lengthy, verbose letter from some distant relative bragging about their world travels and their smart 18-month old grandchild who can memorize Little Einsteins songs.
They also refuse to read the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) that comes with the new card. This would be the helpful paper that explains copays, deductibles, formularies, prior authorizations, etc. You know, all the things we tell everybody they refuse to believe.

Despite the pharmacy asking everyone to present their new insurance cards, we will undoubtedly hear any or all of the following ad nauseum:
1. I didn't get new insurance cards.
2. My information didn't change.
3. It's still the same insurance.
4. My company has had the same insurance for the last 42 years I've worked there.
5. Can't you just look it up?
6. I never have this problem at any other pharmacy.
7. What do you mean I have a deductible? I didn't pay anything last month for this.
8. I never had a copay before.
9. This was covered last month.
10. And, of course, when March rolls around..."What do you mean I have to use mail order? I've had this filled here the last 2 months and NOW you tell me this? I'm out of medication!"

No comments:

Post a Comment