Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Persistence

Or a sign that I worked too many days...
Typical day in the pharmacy. Let's call her Lady Typical.
Thursday 9:30am, LT calls and asks if prescriber called yet.
CP: No.
Thursday 12:30pm LT calls..."Anything?"
CP: No.
Thursday 3:14pm "Now?"
CP: No.
Thursday 8:52pm "Maybe?"
CP: Not

Friday everything repeats. I manage to get all her calls.
Saturday is Groundhog Day.
Sunday is deja vu all over again.

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day.
It is early and I open, but I've finished my coffee and no phone calls yet. Curious.
Afternoon dawns and...nothing.
But Hark! What script through yonder e-scribe do I see?
Do mine eyes deceive me?
It is indeed the long-awaited, much-anticipated Rx for LT!
It is barely 4pm and though she has not yet called, the habits of the past 4 days portend the imminence and predictability of her pattern. She shall call.

Fast forward to Wednesday for I had the luxury of an off day Tuesday.
Phone rings at 8:31pm and I decide to answer...
LT: This is LT, did my prescriber call in that replacement Rx yet?
CP: WTF? Seriously? You hounded me day and night for 4 days, including over a weekend and despite me telling you they'd most likely call Monday, you wait until Wednesday night to call?! It was important enough to have wasted my time all those days but you didn't even call yesterday either?

Yes. This does occur with amazing frequency. I have worked 4, 5, 6, 7 days in a row, gone on vacation and had someone call about something on the day I return that I had fixed 10 days earlier. Never fails.

(And before someone else says it...Could we have called LT? Yes. On a busy Monday, after the patient herself had proven that she was predictable in calling us nearly every 3 hours, Why? Were it that important to her, truly that important, she would have called earlier. She also would have asked us to call. We offer. Some do not "want to bother us".)

No comments:

Post a Comment