Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

But It's The LAW!

CP: True or phalse?: Doctors had to pass a law exam phor their boards.
CPP: Probably true? 
CP: True or phalse?: Doctors have to continue to obey the laws once they enter practice. 
CPP: In theory, true. In practice, you'd be phorgiven phor thinking otherwise. 
CP: Why is it that when laws are passed, our State Board sends us multiple communications reminding us it takes effect today! and we have to be compliant today! but doctors get to plead ignorance? 
CPP: You're the a.) first, b.) only, c.) asshole pharmacist who calls us about this!
CP: Exactly. Here's a recent example phrom when the year was still a week-old infant. 

CP: Welcome to CP's Cures and Potions. How may I help you?
Innocent Little Lady: I wish to fill this for my husband. He just had surgery. 
CP: Hmm. 
ILL: Is there a problem?
CP: This is a handwritten Rx and, according to our state law, this must be e-scripted. 
ILL: Oh. Well he doesn't really need it. It's a just-in-case medication. 
CP: I can call the office, but they are likely closed right now. 
ILL: I'll take it back and visit them tomorrow. 
CP: Ok. 

CPP: Nothing wrong there. 
CP: It was the phollow up visit phrom her the next day. 

CP: You're back. 
ILL: I called the office and explained to them what you told me. 
CP: That all C-IIs must be e-scribed and this law has been on the books for several months now and we faxed the office the copy of the law after you left last night?
ILL: Yes. And guess what they told me? 
CP: Go somewhere else? 
ILL: Yep. We are new and don't have e-scripts so just take it to Rite Aid and they'll fill it no problem. They never have a problem with any of our prescriptions. 
CP: Can't wait to call them out on this. 
ILL: My husband doesn't really need this; he's surviving just fine with Tylenol so don't worry about it. 
CP: I am worry-free. G'night. 

CPP: Now this begs the question of which is worse?
a. The office blatantly ignoring the law that requires they have e-scripts and use them to write C-IIs or 
b. That other pharmacies/pharmacists will look the other way and just accept these incorrect Rxs out of hand?
CP: No wonder we have such a negative view of our profession. We have been fighting this for decades. There's always that "other pharmacist" who won't call or be bothered. Is the patient in need of the medication? Did I do my due diligence to verify the Rx? Will the BOP come down favorably if I phill it? Sure. But simply ignoring the laws every single time is disingenuous. 
CPP: Never mind the offices never being held accountable phor the arrogance of their ignorance. 
CP: I like that. Very politician-like. What are you going to do to me? 
CPP: And nothing ever happens to them. 
CP: We are the bastard stepchildren of healthcare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment