Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, October 6, 2017

Real Conversations With Real People

Sometimes it falls upon your phriendly pharmacy staff to phone your insurance company. It is a necessary evil but one which we shall undertake to provide superior customer service. . . or at least get you your refill since Mail Order is the Devil Incarnate and . . . but I digress.
Now, phor your reading pleasure, I present. . . Tales Phrom The Pharm Side.

Uber-Tech: CP, we have a problem,
CP: Go phor CP.
UT: Apparently, Ms. Golightly's prescription is too soon.
CP: Dear Holly? How dreadful. I shall call for an override.
UT: That's why you're the best. Always looking out phor the little guy.
CP: I haven't even had Breakfast yet.
<pluckily dials insurance>
Practically Below Microbes: Thanks for calling Rejections R Us. How may I thwart your efforts and phrustrate you today?
CP: If only everyone was so honest.
PBM: Huh?
CP: Nothing. I was calling to get a mail order override for a lovely patient on her brand new medication that was processed by mail order today and not received yet from mail order since it was processed today by mail order.
PBM: Okay. And you are trying to bill it for what date?
CP: Today. 10/1/17.
PBM: Okay. I see that the patient's mail order processed a claim for a 90 days supply on 10/1/17.
CP: Correct. I can't quite figure out how they can bill a claim immediately but take 3 weeks to ship it to the patient. Baffling. Any who. . . I'd like an override so the patient may receive medication phrom me to begin therapy today.
PBM: Okay. Is the patient low or out of medication?
CP: As I stated earlier, before your teleprompter kicked in to gear, this is a new medication, so she can be neither low nor out since she never had any.
PBM: "We can only do an override if the patient has not received her mail order yet."
CP: Are you listening to yourself? Do you understand the words that are coming out of your mouth? I told you this was a new medication. Today. YOU told ME that mail order processed the claim . . . TODAY. Now how in the 7 layers of Pharmacy Hell can the patient have sent a prescription to mail order, had it filled, taken all of it, been out of it, and received a new prescription for me to fill all within nanoseconds? It bends the time-space continuum.
PBM: I have to enter a reason in order to process the override.
CP: Words are wind. I wonder why I waste so many of them being practical. I bet you tested really high on the parroting part of your interview. Say what.
PBM: What?
CP: Good dog. Now please process the request for my patient; who has no medication; because she never started it; because mail order billed it today but won't send it for weeks; but I need to do all this legwork to lose money; because I care.
PBM: Ok. So the patient is out of medication?
CP: Your parents wouldn't happen to be Cersei and Jamie by any chance?
PBM: Um. I don't think so.
CP: Yes. She is "out" in layman's insurance parlance.
PBM: Ok. I entered the override. Be sure to document on the hard copy the override I provided.
CP: GOT it.

UT: That sounded rough.
CP: We could save so much time if the conversation weren't so robotic. A simple, "Oh her mail-order didn't arrive and you need an override? Here's it is. G'Day!" would be amazing.
UT: As you always say, people today are being trained WHAT to think as opposed to HOW.
CP: You actually listen to me?
UT: You talk a lot. All phreaking day. Must be osmosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment