Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, April 30, 2021

We're In This Together

ME: What are some things that haven't changed that should have by now?
MICE ELF: Women getting the respect they deserve as professionals? 
ME: Good one. 
CP: Doctors still claiming the throne as the omniscient providers they believe themselves to be?
ME: Nice. But they're not "providers", they're "physicians"!
MICE ELF: Don't conflate the two issues. Let's stick with Holier-than-thou prescribers. 
CP: Good choice. 
ME: I take it you have a story?
CP: Always. Random thoughts and musings as we talk to ourselves at work. 
MICE ELF: To wit?
CP: We have always had a corresponding liability on all prescriptions we fill, yes?
ME: Yes. 
MICE ELF: Of course. 
CP: Follow my rabbit on this. . . 

He's a Doctor! I Think: Your job is to fill what I write. 
CP: No it isn't. 
HAD IT: Yes it is. 
CP: No it isn't. 
HAD IT: Yes. Yes it is. 
CP: Ok. Let's try this. 

<ring ring>
HAD IT: I'm being sued. 
CP: Why?
HAD IT: Because you filled something wrong. 
CP: No I didn't. 
HAD IT: Yes you did. 
CP: No. I filled it exactly as you wrote it. As you have previously lectured me, my job is, quote "to fill what I write", unquote. Sound familiar?
HAD IT: You should have known it was wrong. 
CP: But how could I know it was wrong? I only fill it as it's written. Your words. You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me to fill what you write and NOT understand the relevance and importance of my job. You then cannot hold me accountable for performing my job the way you think it should be done. Either I do my job, which means catching, calling out, then fixing your mistakes, OR I can do your interpretation of my job. But you don't get to blame me for your mistakes. Unfortunately for you, I documented our last conversation where you told me to "fill what I wrote". I counseled the patient. I explained it to her. I documented my consultation. Apparently someone in the family called to verify with your office and the staff member said "Yep, that's what he wrote" and overrode my work. You have bigger things to worry about than whether someone calls you "doctor" or "provider" because prison is in your future. I can't wait for your cellmate to say "what's up, doc?".
 
ME: Basically you took us on a tour of how little many providers think of us?
MICE ELF: Mostly doctors. Must be something that happens their first day at Med School. Here's your lab coat, your ego, and your official, notarized letter stating you are better than all other medical professions. It's a get out of jail free card to abuse other professions, both in person and on social media without repercussions. 
CP: Remember, we are in this together. When pharmacists say they are "saving lives" every day it's not just those of patients, but of the prescribers having a bad day at the office.  
ME: In summary, your point is that doctors can't tell you how to do your job then excoriate you for either doing it too well, or not doing it at all if they are the ones getting in trouble. 
CP: Precisely. We're just people needing people. 
ME: <singing> People. People who need people, Are the luckiest people in the world. 
CP: Yes. But why are "those" doctors the ones who always forget about that part? 
MICE ELF: Well, don't forget about that one CNP. 
CP: Oh yeah. Or the one who wrote last week's Lorazepam script. 


No comments:

Post a Comment