Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, June 12, 2020

One Is The Loneliest Number

CP: What do you think is a skill lacking among people today?
MICE ELF: Listening.
ME: Critical thinking.
CP: Good answers.
ME: Pourquoi?
CP: I have oft repeated that people do not hear what we say, either from an attention standpoint or one of expectancy; they hear what they expected.
MICE ELF: Say what?
ME: Cute. I assume you have a real world tale to exemplify this?
CP: Indeed I do.

<last week>
UT: Welcome to Arby's. May I help you?
Patient In Car Keeping Engine Running: I am picking up for my wife.
UT: Name?
PICKER: Upper.
UT: Okay. I see that we have exactly one Rx ready for her.
PICKER: Ok. And how many does she have today?
UT: Well, it rhymes with none. . .

ME: That's good.
CP: There's also this one:

CP: Thank you calling Phineas and Pherb Pharmacy. This is CP, Pharmacist. How may I help you?
Every Nurse Using Fones: Is this the pharmacist?
CP: Maybe.
ENUF: May I speask to the pharmacist?
CP: You already had the pleasure, but you wanted it. Please try again. <click>

MICE ELF: That's why I sometimes like to answer the phone in odd voices or with strange, unexpected names.
CP: Because people don't hear the first thing you say; or in UT's case, ANYthing she said?
MICE ELF: Exactly. They've pre-programmed themselves. If events don't match their planned routines and preconceptions, they are lost.
CP: Like new pharmacy graduates who seemingly have been taught WHAT to think instead of HOW.
MICE ELF: Do not get ME started on this again.
ME: What? I wasn't listening.
CP: Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment