Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Friday, January 25, 2019

Time. . . Is Not On Your Side

CP: Thank you for dropping off at CP's Palace of Pill Packaging today.
Can Hardly Remember Our New On-time System: Happy to be here.
CP: How may I not meet your demands today?
CHRONOS: I should like to have these filled.
CP: And I should like to fill them. I live to fill prescriptions as chickens live to be eaten.
CHRONOS: You are a strange little being. When may I return?
CP: I shall have these ready for retrieval at 2:11pm today.
CHRONOS: 2:11?
CP: Yes. As it is now only 10:39, I'd say that is quite fair for 3 prescriptions and a transfer.
CHRONOS: Peachy. I shall see you then.
CP: At 2:11. And not a minute before.

(12:45pm, phone rings; many minutes before 2:11pm)
CHRONOS: Are my prescriptions ready yet?
CP: What time is it?
CHRONOS: 12:45pm.
CP: Is that before or after the time I gave you?
CHRONOS: Before.
CP: Do you think I gave you a time for a reason?
CHRONOS: Yeah. But I wanted to see if they were ready.
CP: When are you having dinner tonight?
CHRONOS: Probably 6:00.
CP: If your kids and family and I all sat down at the table at 4:45, would we be able to start digging in then? Or would we have to wait until 6:00?
CHRONOS: You'd have to wait. I'm making chicken and dumplings in my Instant Pot and it won't be ready until 6:00. That's how I planned it.
CP: I see. I see. So now I'm going to starve because you can't tell time?
CHRONOS: What? No. I just. I was hoping it'd be done and you just gave me a rather random time.
CP: I plan my day to the minute. Literally. That's how my queue works. Come back when the big hand is on the 2 and the little hand is on the 11 (just past the 2; they should be overlapping.)
CHRONOS: People really enjoy these stories?
CP: Yes. Mostly because they can relate, but also because they know these conversations happen all day every day.
CHRONOS: I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment