Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Help Me to Help You

I want to purchase something. 
I wish to know how much it is. 
Generally, I have an idea of the product I seek. 
A TV, car, US Soccer Jersey, whatever. 
I like to know what I am going to spend before I buy. 
I comparison shop. 
Seems rational. 
Except in this case...

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller: I'm calling to get a price. 
CP: Ok. Do you have insurance or will this be straight cash?
LTLFTC: Cash. I have no insurance. 
CP: Okay. For what prescription do you seek a price?
LTLFTC: I don't know. 
CP: You don't know?
LTLFTC: No. I haven't seen my doctor yet. I don't have a prescription. 
CP: Okay. Makes my job a little difficult. What's wrong with you? Why are you going to the doctor?
LTLFTC: I don't feel well. Can't you give me a price on something for that?
CP: Did he give you any indication what he may prescribe?
LTLFTC: No. 
CP: Drug name? Strength? Quantity? 
LTLFTC: No. Why can't you just give me a price?
CP: Okay. I can give you a range since I don't have any specifics. 
LTLFTC: Okay. 
CP: It will be more that $1, but less than $1,000. How's that?

That would be like calling Best Buy for a price on something in their store but not knowing whether it was a TV, washer, Blu-Ray, PS3, iMac, or that new-release DVD that just came out sometime in the last month. 

1 comment: