Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Benadryl

Drowsy:

    • sleepy and lethargic; half asleep:the wine had made her drowsy
    • causing sleepiness:the drowsy heat of the meadows
    • (of a place) peaceful and quiet:a drowsy suburb called Surrey Hills
    • Sleepy:

      needing or ready for sleep:the wine had made her sleepy
    • showing the effects of sleep:she rubbed her sleepy eyes
    • inducing sleep; soporific:the sleepy heat of the afternoon
    • (of a place) without much activity:he turned off the road into a sleepy little town
    • (of a business or organization) lacking the ability or will to respond to change; not dynamic:the one-time sleepy world of pensions


Here's one for you from yesterday....

Guy comes up to my consultation window at the pharmacy yesterday with a bottle of store brand generic liquid sleep-aid (diphenhydramine). 

He asks: "Can this be used to help you sleep?" 
Me: "absolutely"
His next question: (wait for it.....) "but it won't make me drowsy will it?" 
Me: ....I stare blankly at him for a moment.... "Um, yes. That's kind of the point of it. To make you drowsy... so you can sleep..."
He just says: "oh" and walks off.

I used to believe people didn't understand the definitions of "drowsy" and "sleepy". I'm not "bashful" about it making me "happy" to think of them as "dopey" when they call me "doc" and I tell them not to be "grumpy" with me. They'll no longer be "sneezy" either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment