Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Prescriptions are Paper

So far, I am able to report I have found the one reason to recommend electronic prescriptions over paper versions.
Did you ever wonder? What happens to a paper prescription from the second it is handed across the airspace between the doctor and the patient, to the time it is proffered to our staff? I used to believe my way was normal. I would politely take the prescription, fold it, place it in my pocket, drive to the pharmacy and, presented none the worse for the wear except for the double crease, hand it to the friendly technician. That is, until I was on the receiving end of numerous prescriptions that required Haz Mat suits and tongs to handle.
The worst part is, there is no predictor for its state of decay based on age of the prescription. I have received prescriptions dated over 1 year ago that look better than some that were walked directly across a hallway 30 seconds after leaving a doctor's office.

I say, if a dentist is going to send all of his patients to my pharmacy and all of those prescriptions have blood on them, I am going to avoid that dentist.
If you vomit on your prescription, do not try to blot it off then hand it to me, unassuming, as if nothing was wrong. It's not a coffee stain and it smells. And it's still damp...
Unless that brown stain is a round ring, I'm not assuming it's coffee. Call your doctor, tell him you lost it, and to just call me with a new one.
It's not a napkin or placemat. Please do not eat on it or wipe your hands and mouth on it. I've been presented prescriptions with more food and grease on them than the fry cook sees when cleaning the fryer.
By the way, while I do appreciate you blocking your coughs and sneezes from entering my bubble, please don't use your prescriptions as a shield. Instead of hacking them directly on me, you're now handing them to me; with the chunky droplets attached. Yum.
Ladies. What happens in the purse must stay in the purse. Seriously. What goes on in there to explain the deteriorated state of the papers you just handed me? War-torn Republics have bombed out buildings that are in better shape than this.
These are all prescriptions I have seen that have been written the same day they were brought to me. I can't even imagine the tragedy that befalls a prescription someone haphazardly places on a kitchen table or dresser or one that gets to spend the night in any of these places. The horror, the horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment