Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pharmacist vs. Doctors, the 3rd

And another thing...If you, Dr. Zoffis, are calling me, Herr Pharmacynic, to authorize refills, confirm prior authroization approval, give new prescriptions, or do any other professional work, please be prepared.  Let us remember the healthcare cycle: patient goes to doctor, doctor writes prescription, patient brings Rx to pharmacy, pharmacist fills Rx.  When refills are done, we go back to the beginning.  This means everything starts with you.  The doctor.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  


I implore you, as a former Scout, Be prepared!  Again, I do not work in your office but if you expect me to do your work I am going to have to charge you every time I have to have this conversation:


     Nurse: Calling in to refill a patient's prescription.
     ME: OK
     Nurse: They didn't give me their prescription number but it's for HCTZ.
     ME: OK. What strength?
     Nurse: Can't you just look it up?
     ME: Yes.  But can't you just look it up?
     Nurse: I don't have the chart but it's the same as before.
     ME: Correct me if I am wrong (and I rarely am) but did you not originally prescribe this medication?  And did you not put it in a chart? And if you knew you were going to call me (because I didn't know you were going to make me do your job too before you dialed my numbers) how did you not know I would need all of this information?  If you knew to call me for his refill then you knew you were going to do this to me.  Therefore, I am going to send you a bill for looking up each piece of information you don't have.  How do you know he even (still?) takes HCTZ?  How do you know the doctor didn't change it since the last visit?  Does he get 30 days or 90 days?  Is this even the right pharmacy?  What's his date of birth?  Help me!  Then pay me!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment