Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Monday, March 20, 2017

You Know Nothing!

I walked into work the other day to witness a lady holding court with 2 of her friends. She was, how do I put it, "educating" her friends about OTC allergy medications.

Lady: That Cetirizine you're holding? It's like $0.98 at the dollar store down the street. The one they sell is better than this one. I've taken all of these OTC ones and the only ones that work are Xyzal and Cetirizine. (Never mind that Xyzal didn't arrive on store shelves yet.)

Friend Unbeliever: But this is once a day. I think the Cetirizine works better. What's the difference in them?

Lady: This one here, in your hand, has HCL in it. See, mine didn't. It's that extra HCL that makes it more expensive. It's probably why they don't sell it at the dollar store. It doesn't matter because the HCL ones don't work. You need it without the HCL.

Friend The Second: <silently nods in agreement>

Lady: I don't know what that HCL is, but it makes it not work. You're better off going to get the other stuff from the dollar store. This is like 4 times as expensive just for that HCL.

FU: I need it now, so I 'm just going to get this one.

Lady: Okay. But it doesn't work for me.

Now imagine this conversation is taking place among a group of students. A group of medical or nursing students. Because that's what happened.
Reminds me of the day I was with a phriend in a prescriber's office and we met with a CNP who instructed us that antihistamines were for sinus congestion and Sudafed, a decongestant, was for drainage. That was the last time my phriend ever went to that office.

#ALittleEducationIsADangerousThing

No comments:

Post a Comment