Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Monday, February 19, 2024

Do They Forget?

CPP: What's the most frustrating thing about taking a vacation or not having a partner?
CP: Floaters. Hands down. 
CPP: All of them?
CP: Not necessarily all of them. This is always a debate and you hate to paint ALL floaters with the same brush. 
CPP: But?
CP: No "but"; I choose to complain about the floaters who are managers or staff at their own stores, stores they run on the daily, who come to my store and decide to change things. 
CPP: I've been a manager and staff and had my own stores for most of my career. I have floated to help on short days or to cover vacations and I have never gone on a redecorating spree somewhere I am moonlighting for only a shift or two. I can understand moving the label or fingerprint scanner or mouse if you're opposite-handed. It's a pharmacist station setup and you have to be comfortable but. . . 
CP: The last time I was sans partner, I came back to work to discover the phollowing: 
1. Someone changed my order points to keep all the expensive drugs they ordered in stock (for someone who hadn't even picked up their initial Rx yet). STOP. We don't stock it for a damn good reason. 
CPP: That's a dick move. Order what the patient needs for today and let me decide if I want to keep it or not, especially if we have trained this patient to call in their 90 days supply a few days early each refill. It makes no sense to keep $3k worth of a drug on my shelf for 90 days for one patient. 
CP: 2. Someone took my computer/monitor desk down and placed it on the floor because the terminal was too high, and didn't replace it. 
CPP: It's one thing to adjust your work area where you need to function for 12 hours, but put everything back the way you found it. 
CP: 3. Someone literally rearranged my shelves: they moved my inventory around and shifted the heights of the shelves! 
CPP: Okay that's a bridge too far IMHO.
CP: That would be like being invited to a friend's house for dinner and to spend the night and deciding to rearrange their kitchen because you don't like their work triangle, where the silverware and cups are located, then moving all the furniture in the bedroom because the feng shui felt off, rising in the morning, and leaving without explanation or replacing everything, all before your friend wakes. 
CPP: Your friend walks around the house all day shaking her head going "WTF!?", unable to drink her coffee because the spoons are now in the bathroom and the fridge is in the den all the while questioning your relationship. 
CP: But she can't complain because you're her only friend who will visit. 
CPP: That's a rather dark picture of floater coverage. 
CP: Dark times, indeed. 

Part Deux:
CP: What makes a good floater?
CPP: If you have a policy or procedure specific to your store, believe the store to which you are floating has one as well. 
CP: Correct. The pharmacist is the interchangeable cog in the mechanism. When you walk in, ASK how they handle their fridge items, their reconstitutes, their oversized items. Don't presume to do it your way if it flies in the face of how this store appears to do things. 
CPP: I'll ask when I arrive and do it their way all day. I may ask why they do it this way and explain how and why we do it differently at my store, but I'm not there to change things; I'm there to be YOUR pharmacist and I respect that. 
CP: Just as we expect the same courtesy from those who fill in for us. 
CPP: Naturally. 
CP: That's not a lot to ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment