Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Overreacting

We are so accustomed to throwing around terms of which we no longer understand the definition. Today's example is the use of the term: "ER". Back in the good ole days, this was an abbreviation for the words "Emergency Room".
Emergency is defined as: A serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation often requiring immediate action: a medical condition requiring immediate treatment.
Problems fitting this description were taken to a special area of the hospital known conveniently as the "Emergency Room". Pretty self-explanatory, right?

Woefully Overwrought Woman: I need to find this product now!
CP: What seems to be the problem?
WOW: My son has this infection and the doctor told me I could buy it over the counter. They wouldn't even give me a prescription for it.
CP: Okay. Let me come out to show you what you need.
WOW: They said to get some type of cream, but did not tell me which one.
CP: Fine. What are we treating?
WOW: Ringworm.
CP: Uh-huh. Well I like Lamisil because the treatment period is shorter and the box is pretty shades of blue. How old is your son?
WOW: He's in his twenties.
CP: Got it. Well this is safe for a boy of his age. You may bring this to my register if you desire.
WOW: No. He needs it right now. Looks like we wasted an ER trip last night for nothing.
CP: You took him to the ER for this?
WOW: Yes! He said it really bothered him.
CP: When did this sudden, emergency infection afflict him?
WOW: He said he's had it for about 3 months now.
CP: I see. I see. Definitely a good thing to take him to the ER last night. I'm sure he couldn't have waited another 6 hours to be seen in his doctor's office. I really hope no real emergencies came through the EMERGENCY ROOM while he was occupying a bed with his horrible case of ringworm.
WOW: Well I never!
CP: Oh but you should have. A long time ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment