Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Your Job Does Not Matter

Once you retire, do you forget all that you were?
Do you ever stop being a pharmacist? A nurse? A lawyer? A teacher?
No. You may stop practising, but you never stop being who and what you are.
On that note, I really don't care who and what you are/were.
I don't tell my prescribers I am a pharmacist. They have a job to do and I want to listen to what they are going to tell me. Perhaps I can learn something.

CP: I see we have a counsel on this medication.
Rather Annoyed That Cynical Had Educated on Drugs: Why?
CP: It appears you prescriber changed your dose.
RATCHED: Yeah? So?
CP: So I wanted to make sure you were aware of the change. The last thin. . .
RATCHED: The other made me too tired.
CP: The last thing I want is for you to get home and have a question about why these look different. He cut the dose in half. Do you ha. . .
RATCHED: I know. I told you I asked for the change.
CP: . . . have any of the 10mg left? You could cut them in half to not waste them.
RATCHED: They're too small. I can't cut them. That's too much work.
CP: Some people like to use up what they had before. . .
RATCHED: I was a nurse for 48 years.
CP: Good for you. That doesn't matter.
RATCHED: It certainly does.
CP: Not really. I feel really bad for all the patients stuck with you over the years. You interrupt as if you know better. You can't cut tablets. You won't listen to counseling advice. You pretty much know everything. Unfortunately, you're in my world now. If you were a good nurse, you wouldn't feel the need to tell me. My mom was a nurse for 40 years. She was never a bitch to doctors or pharmacists. But please, go ahead and tell me how to do my job.
RATCHED: You're not very nice.
CP: I was always taught to treat people how they wish to be treated. You are combative and insolent and not allowing me to do my job. If you were one of your patients, how would you have handled you? Don't answer that. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing it right now. Just allow me to document our little conversation here so when you have a question or complaint, I can refer to my notes here: "Counseled the hostile witness on new strength whereupon I was informed she was a nurse for 48 years and knew more than any plebe could teach her even though new medications have come out since the Disco Era."

"Jesus, I mean, you guys do nothing but complain about how you can't stand it in this place here and you don't have the guts just to walk out? What do you think you are, for Chrissake, crazy or somethin'? Well you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average asshole out walkin' around on the streets and that's it."

No comments:

Post a Comment