Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A(nother) Debate with Myself

Me: Why are you here?
CP: Existentially, philosophically, or?
Me: Professionally.
CP: I am a pharmacist.
Me: But why retail? You so hate your job.
CP: No I don't.
Me: But all your posts are so negative and mean. You must really hate people.
CP: I don't know half of them half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of them half as well as they deserve.
Me: Okay. But is it because that's where the money is?
CP: Nope.
Me: Then what is it? And don't say "to help people".
CP: Why not?
Me: Because that is the worst interview answer ever.
CP: Okay. How about this?: To foster and promote an environment where a healthy dialogue and transaction can take place enabling patients to get a better understanding of what it means to take better care of themselves and to enable them to reach these goals on their own.
Me: Verbose. Explain. Succinctly.
CP: I still believe people are good. I still believe they come to us for their healthcare needs, now more than ever with the other services we provide. This will continue to grow. We are the face of healthcare. We are the easiest professionals to reach directly. People like us.
Me: But you always complain they hate you.
CP: They do and they don't. Hate the game. Love the player. Many people understand that. Someone once asked me in an interview what my favourite thing about my job was. I quickly answered: My patients. I love them. I love getting to know them and their families. I love knowing what they are taking so I can help them with any questions they have. I love they feel comfortable enough to ask me questions and just talk with me whenever they need it.
Me: Aw. How sweet.
CP: Then I was asked about my least favourite thing about my job.
Me: Go on.
CP: I answered: The patients. The whiny, I-need-everything-now, slap-a-label-on-it, yelling, screaming, entitled, I'm-going-to-call-corporate-on-you, hurry-up-what's-taking-so-damn-long, stare-me-down IMpatients that we all deal with every day.
Me: Nice. Did you get the job?
CP: Of course I did.
Me: Back to the question: Why ARE you here?
CP: I serve a bigger purpose than myself. I believe I can do my best work in retail. I have the knack for patient service. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me. It's like bedside manners for prescribers. Those who are great at it are often lacking in other areas. Those who suck at it are often brilliant practitioners. There are few who can find the happy medium. I am somewhere on that Bell Curve. Another area of practice would have fit in with my brain a little better but I am a talker and love to engage people in conversation.
Me: But you complain a lot.
CP: Sure. Look at where it's brought me. I am bringing to light many problems facing our profession today. Retail seems to be looked down upon by other professions and other professionals within the practice of pharmacy even though we represent the majority of practicing pharmacists employed today. We have a job to do. It is evolving. It has moved away from its "helping patients" credo and become "dollar grabber extraordinaire" with all its ancillary, a la carte services.
Me: What do you wish to do about it?
CP: I want my profession back.
Me: And how will you accomplish that?
CP: Stay Tuned...With this page. I have a few ideas in the works, but I need input from all my followers. Hence the Participation Polls I am conducting. Some assembly required. It's like class participation. The more you participate, the better the class does.

No comments:

Post a Comment