Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Monday, October 28, 2019

Stroke Me = Troche

CP: Are you familiar with the 80's hit The Stroke, by Billy Squire?
ME: Of course.
MYSELF: Natch. Why?
CP: You know how the chorus repeats?
Stroke Me
Stroke Me
Stroke!
Stroke!
Stroke Me
Stroke Me
Stroke!
Stroke!
ME: Yes.
MYSELF: Where are you going with this?
CP: What's the name of a dome-shaped cover, usually for food dishes?
ME: Cloche.
CP: And another name for a lozenge?
MYSELF: Troche.
ME: TRO-Key
CP: And now that song reminds me of two people arguing over the proper pronunciation of that word.
TRO-Key
TRO-Key
TrOsh!
TrOsh!
TRO-Key
TRO-Key
TrOsh!
TrOsh!
ME: Has anyone ever told you there's something wrong with you?
CP: Yes. My techs and interns every single day.
MYSELF: Your brain works in mysterious ways.
CP: It does. I can either embrace it or ignore it. I choose to share it.
MYSELF: I still say it's pronounced TrOsh.
ME: TRO-Key!
CP: You're both correct. TRO-KEY is the first pronunciation, but TrOsh is listed as a British variant.
MYSELF: Thanks for ending that debate. Now does that make you a Dooshbag?
ME: Or a Doo-key-bag?
CP: I'm team Tro-Key.

No comments:

Post a Comment