Facebook and Twitter


and follow my blog on Twitter @pharmacynic to receive notifications on new posts.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Your Doctor Is A Dick

As a Pharmacist, I have a job to do.
As a Doctor, you have a job to do.
Collectively, our jobs are about Patient Healthcare.
Period.
Everything else is about ego and pride.
CMS requires both of us to work together for the betterment of the patient.
(They're called Outcomes.)
Based on your diagnosis, a treatment is selected.
Maybe you missed something.
Maybe you forgot about the use a class of medication in patients with certain conditions.
Maybe you deemed it not therapeutically appropriate in this patient.
I don't have access to your notes, but I have a diagnosis, a patient history, and am currently speaking with our patient right now.
See, it's my job to make sure that what you write is appropriate.
Is complete.
Is effective.
Is actually correct.
You don't have to follow my suggestion(s) any more than I have to fill your prescriptions.
But you don't have to be a dick.
So here's what I'd send back:

You know what they call the person who graduated last in his class at Med School? Doctor.
Well I'm both a Pharmacist AND a Doctor so what's your superpower?
Care to follow the CMS recommendations now?
Do you need a second opinion?
As a Pharmacist AND a Doctor, I am fully licensed to provide you with one.
Oh, one more thing. If you were such a good doctor, wouldn't you already have known about this recommendation and put your patient on it?

(Yes. As I mentioned earlier, it may not be therapeutically appropriate for this particular patient. Maybe she tried and failed; had reactions; can't afford it. Whatever. As happens all too often with prescribers, they don't like being told what to do. Fortunately I've seen a shift over the last few years and love when all types of prescribers call to discuss treatments with me.)

Reminder: #DontBeADick
#WhyYourPharmacistHatesYourDoctor


No comments:

Post a Comment